Rupert Dubler is pleased to announce the next intensive Deaf Interpreting workshop!
WHERE: Portland, Oregon at Portland Community College (Sylvania Campus TCB Building 212 at 12000 SW 49th Ave, 97210)
WHEN: 9am to 6pm Friday through Sundays October 13-15th, October 27-29th, and November 3-5th (72 hours total) + 40 hours online.
COST: $575 per participant, maximum 12 participants, confirmed on a first come first served basis. A payment plan is accepted with the first payment of $288 to reserve your seat and the second payment of $288 due by 10/5. You may receive a 50% refund of your registration fee until October 5th. No refunds will be given afterward.
All 12 seats are open to residents of Oregon and Vancouver with 4 seats reserved for participants coming from a diverse background (e.g., people of color, immigrants, DeafBlind, LGBTQIA, etc) until 9/29. Starting 9/30, registration for the remaining seats are open to everybody else. Seats are reserved on a first-paid, first-reserved basis.
Department of Rehabilitation clients are welcome; please have your counselor contact me ASAP to reserve your seat and make payment arrangements.
This fee includes only the workshop. Some sponsors help to reduce the fee for your registrations while other sponsors pay for some breakfasts and lunches.
WHAT: This 112-hours training (72 face-to-face, 40 online) will better prepare Deaf Interpreters to pass RID’s CDI Knowledge Exam and provide a refresher for experienced Deaf Interpreters. RID CEUs or a certification of completion will be issued thanks to our CMP sponsor, ORID.
This training is designed in part based on the National Consortium of Interpreter Education Centers (NCIEC)’s Deaf Interpreting curriculum which was collaboratively developed by a team of top CDIs inthe country.
The NCIEC DI curriculum covers six modules:
- Deaf Interpreters—Past, Present, & Future
- Ethnic & Cultural Diversity within the Deaf Community
- Consumer Assessment—Identifying Culture, Language, and Communication Styles
- Ethical Considerations and Challenges for Deaf Interpreters
- Interpreting Theory & Practice for Deaf Interpreters
- Deaf/Hearing & Deaf/Deaf Interpreter Teams
In addition to the curriculum materials above, we have developed the following:
- ASL translations of select readings (online)
- Hands-up practice opportunities
- Business practices
- Practice exam materials
- Special topics in order to complete this comprehensive and immersive training, all participants will be expected to commit to approximately 40 hours of online viewings and readings to be completed at your own pace, which includes group video discussions, prior to the face-to-face workshop. These materials will be available in advance. During the face-to-face workshop, there may be homework assignments in the evenings in addition to assigned presentations during the workshop.
SPONSORS: This training is widely supported by the local Oregon community which includes the following…
YOUR TRAINER: Rupert Dubler, CDI. For more information, please see our About Us page.
HOW TO REGISTER:
- Fill out the survey (if you have not already done so): https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/6X7GG3T.
- Sign the contract: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/NJG3L2G.
- Submit your PayPal payment to email@example.com for $593 ($18 PayPal fee).
- Email Rupert to notify him that you have completed step #1-3: firstname.lastname@example.org.
NOTE: If you prefer to pay $575 with a check instead, please email Rupert for the mailing address to send your check to. Seats are reserved only when payment is received.