Rupert Dubler is pleased to announce the next intensive Deaf Interpreting workshop!
WHERE: Portland, Oregon at Portland Community College (Sylvania Campus TCB Building 212 at 12000 SW 49th Ave, 97210)
WHEN: Friday through Sundays October 13-16th, October 27-30th, and November 3-5th (72 hours total)
COST: $550 per participant, maximum 12 participants, confirmed on a first come first served basis. A payment plan is accepted with the first payment of $225 to reserve your seat and the second payment of $225 by 10/5.
All seats are open to residents of Oregon and Vancouver with 4 seats reserved for participants coming from a diverse background (e.g., people of color, immigrants, DeafBlind, LGBTQIA, etc) until 9/25. Starting 9/26, registration is open to everybody else. Department of Rehabilitation clients are welcome; please have your counselor contact me to make payment arrangements.
This fee includes only the workshop. Some meals will be covered by sponsors and will be announced to registrants in advance.
You may receive a 50% refund of your registration fee until October 5th. No refunds will be given afterwards.
WHAT: This 72-hours training will better prepare Deaf Interpreters to pass RID's CDI Knowledge Exam and provide a refresher for experienced Deaf Interpreters. RID CEUs or a certification of completion will be issued thanks to our CMP sponsor, ORID.
This training is designed in part based on the National Consortium of Interpreter Education Centers (NCIEC)'s Deaf Interpreting curriculum which was collaboratively developed by a team of top CDIs in the country.
The NCIEC DI curriculum covers six modules:
- Deaf Interpreters—Past, Present, & Future
- Ethnic & Cultural Diversity within the Deaf Community
- Consumer Assessment—Identifying Culture, Language, and Communication Styles
- Ethical Considerations and Challenges for Deaf Interpreters
- Interpreting Theory & Practice for Deaf Interpreters
- Deaf/Hearing & Deaf/Deaf Interpreter Teams
In addition to the curriculum materials above, Brenda Schertz and Rupert Dubler have developed the following:
- ASL translations of select readings (online)
- Hands-up practice opportunities
- Business practices
- Practice exam materials
- Special topics in order to complete this comprehensive and immersive training, all participants will be expected to commit to 30-40 hours of online viewings and readings to be completed at your own pace, which includes group video discussions, prior to the face-to-face workshop. These materials will be available in advance. During the face-to-face workshop, there may be homework assignments in the evenings in addition to assigned presentations during the workshop.
SPONSORS: This training is supported by the local Oregon community which includes…
Portland Community College: In-Kind Donation of Facility Space (logo: https://www.pcc.edu/resources/strategic-communications/get-started/logos.html)
Oregon RID Chapter: $1,000 (logo: http://orid.org/Table/About-ORID/)
Oregon Association for the Deaf: $1,000 (logo: http://oad1921.org/)
Hi5 Agency: (logo: https://www.hi5access.com/)
YOUR TRAINER: Rupert Dubler, CDI (photo from https://onenonlyrup.wixsite.com/diit/meet-the-instructors). For more information, please see our About page.
HOW TO REGISTER:
- Fill out the survey (if you have not already done so): https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/6X7GG3T.
- Sign the contract: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/NJG3L2G
- Submit your PayPal payment to email@example.com for $566 ($16 PayPal fee).
- Email Rupert to notify him that you have completed step #1-3: firstname.lastname@example.org.