Brenda Schertz and John Dunleavy are pleased to announce the next intensive Deaf Interpreting workshop!
WHERE: Rochester, NY at University of Rochester
WHEN: 9am-5pm, June 22-27, 2018
COST: $550 per Deaf Interpreter participant, with a maximum of 12 participants, confirmed on a first come first served basis. A payment plan can be arranged. Please contact trainer for more information.
This fee includes only the workshop. Sponsors, if any, will help to cover the cost of meals.
WHAT: This 40-hour training will better prepare Deaf Interpreters to pass RID’s CDI Knowledge Exam and provide a refresher for experienced Deaf Interpreters. A certification of completion will be issued at end of the training for 4.0 CEUs and a separate certificate will be issued for 2.0 CEUs for the on-line component of the training.
This training is designed in part based on the National Consortium of Interpreter Education Centers (NCIEC)’s Deaf Interpreting curriculum which was collaboratively developed by a team of top CDIs in the country.
The NCIEC DI curriculum covers six modules:
- Deaf Interpreters—Past, Present, & Future
- Ethnic & Cultural Diversity within the Deaf Community
- Consumer Assessment—Identifying Culture, Language, and Communication Styles
- Ethical Considerations and Challenges for Deaf Interpreters
- Interpreting Theory & Practice for Deaf Interpreters
- Deaf/Hearing & Deaf/Deaf Interpreter Teams
In addition to the curriculum materials above, we have developed the following:
- ASL translations of select readings (online)
- Preparation for RID’s CDI Knowledge Exam
- Hands-on interpreting practice opportunities
- Special topics in order to complete this comprehensive and immersive training. All workshop participants will be expected to commit to approximately 25-30 hours of online viewings and readings to be completed at your own pace, which includes group video discussions, prior to the face-to-face workshop. These materials will be made available to you when the initial $150 payment is made. During the face-to-face workshop, there may be homework assignments in the evenings in addition to assigned presentations during the workshop.
OUR TRAINERS: Brenda Schertz, CDI, MA and John Dunleavy, CDI. For more information, please see our About Us page.
HOW TO REGISTER:
- Complete the pre-registration form, below.
- Send a check for $550 payable to Brenda Schertz, PO Box 23492, Rochester NY 14692; or
- Send $565 via PayPal or the Cash app. If you want to do this, please let us know and we will provide details.
- While payment in full is required before you start the face to face course, you can get early access to the online component after payment of $150 by check, or $155 through the Cash app or PayPal.
- Once we have received payment, we will immediately email you a confirmation. Upon request, we can also send you a letter of support, an invoice or a receipt.
- We encourage you to take the RID CDI Knowledge Exam at the end of the workshop. We have noticed that past workshop participants have done better when they take the exam immediately after completing the course. The cost of the exam is not included in the workshop fee; please see http://www.casli.org/certified-deaf-interpreter-exam-cdi/ for more information on the exam. Please note that the cost is substantially lower for RID members than non-members. See https://www.rid.org/membership/join/ for more information.
- We are willing to work with Vocational Rehabilitation (VR) in your state. However, because obtaining payment through them is often a lengthy process, we need to ask you to cover the workshop fee up front and we will refund the fee when we receive payment from VR. If you begin working with your VR now, they could send a check directly to me. Our Employer Identification Number (EIN), required for VR payments, will be available by the end of this month.
- Course materials will be available through the online component of this workshop, but for those of you who prefer hard copy, we recommend the following two books:
Janice Humphrey and Bob Alcorn, So You Want to be an Interpreter, Fourth Edition. Available through Amazon for about $75 new.
Anna Mindess, Reading Between the Signs, Intercultural Communication for Sign Language Interpreters, Third Edition. Also available through Amazon, for about $26 new.
If you have additional questions, please feel free to contact us at VP 585-563-8168 or by email to email@example.com.