This workshop is now full; registration is closed.
Brenda Schertz and John Dunleavy are pleased to announce an intensive online Deaf Interpreting workshop!
WHERE: Wherever you are! The COVID-19 pandemic has severely curtailed travel for everyone.
WHEN: 9.00 am to 1.30pm Eastern time, Monday, July 13 - Friday, July 17 and 9.00 am to 1.30pm Eastern time, Monday, July 20 - Friday, July 24.
WHAT: This 40-hours online training will help prepare Deaf Interpreters to pass RID's CDI Knowledge Exam and provide a refresher for experienced Deaf Interpreters. A certification of completion will be issued at end of the training.
This workshop will make daily use of the Zoom videoconferencing application and the Canvas learning management platform. It is essential that you have a laptop or desktop computer and a reliable, high-speed Internet connection.
We will offer a free webinar to familiarize you with our platforms. Once you pre-register, we will send you the link.
Our training is based on the National Consortium of Interpreter Education Centers (NCIEC)'s Deaf Interpreting curriculum, which was collaboratively developed by a national team of experienced CDIs.
The NCIEC DI curriculum covers six modules:
- Deaf Interpreters—Past, Present, & Future
- Ethnic & Cultural Diversity within the Deaf Community
- Consumer Assessment—Identifying Culture, Language, and Communication Styles
- Ethical Considerations and Challenges for Deaf Interpreters
- Interpreting Theory & Practice for Deaf Interpreters
- Deaf/Hearing & Deaf/Deaf Interpreter Teams
In addition to the curriculum materials above, we offer the following:
- A study guide
- ASL translations of select readings (online)
- Practice opportunities
- Business practices
- To complete this comprehensive and immersive training, all participants will need to commit to approximately 20 to 30 hours to online viewings and readings, to be completed at your own pace, prior to the workshop. These materials will be available once registration is paid.
- We will have guest presenters on specific topics, such as Social Justice and Working with DeafBlind Consumers.
HOW TO REGISTER:
Complete the pre-registration form, below.
We will send you instructions for payment.
Payment in full is required before you start the workshop, which includes access to the online materials.
Once we have received payment, we will send you a confirmation email that includes links to all materials.
Upon request, we can also send you a letter of support, an invoice or a receipt.
YOUR TRAINERS: Brenda Schertz, CDI and John Dunleavy, CDI. For information about us, please see our About Us page.
Withdrawals and Refunds Policy
It costs $675 to register for this workshop.
You are, of course, able to withdraw at any time. However, the refunds we give will depend on when you chose to withdraw. The refunds we offer are:
- Through Friday, June 19: full $675 refund
- Saturday, June 20 through Friday, June 26: $450
- Saturday, June 27 through Friday, July 3: $250
- Saturday, July 4 through Friday, July 11: $100
- No refunds after July 11