UPDATE: This training session has been completed. Thank you.
Brenda Schertz and John Dunleavy are pleased to announce an intensive Deaf Interpreting workshop!
WHERE: Pittsburgh, PA
WHEN: 12.00 to 5.00pm on May 5th (at Hampton Inn and Suites Pittsburgh Airport South - Settlers Ridge, 5000 Campbells Run Road, Pittsburgh, PA 15205)
WHEN: 30 hours of online work from May 6 - June 9
WHEN: 8.30 am - 6.00 pm daily, June 10 - 14 (at Homewood Suites by Hilton Pittsburgh Airport Robinson Mall Area PA - 2000 GSK Dr, Moon, PA 15108, USA)
COST: $125 for PA residents and $175 for out-of-state individuals. This workshop is sponsored by the PA Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf - PARID
WHAT: This 40-hours training will help prepare Deaf Interpreters to pass RID's CDI Knowledge Exam and provide a refresher for experienced Deaf Interpreters. A certification of completion will be issued at end of the training.
This training is designed in part based on the National Consortium of Interpreter Education Centers (NCIEC)'s Deaf Interpreting curriculum which was collaboratively developed by a team of top CDIs in the country.
The NCIEC DI curriculum covers six modules:
- Deaf Interpreters—Past, Present, & Future
- Ethnic & Cultural Diversity within the Deaf Community
- Consumer Assessment—Identifying Culture, Language, and Communication Styles
- Ethical Considerations and Challenges for Deaf Interpreters
- Interpreting Theory & Practice for Deaf Interpreters
- Deaf/Hearing & Deaf/Deaf Interpreter Teams
In addition to the curriculum materials above, we have developed the following:
- ASL translations of select readings (online)
- Practice opportunities
- Business practices
- Special topics in order to complete this comprehensive and immersive training, all participants will be expected to commit to approximately 40 hours of online viewings and readings to be completed at your own pace, which includes group video discussions, prior to the face-to-face workshop. These materials will be available in advance. During the face-to-face workshop, there may be homework assignments in the evenings in addition to assigned presentations during the workshop.
SPONSORS: Pennsylvania Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf
YOUR TRAINERS: Brenda Schertz, CDI and John Dunleavy, CDI. For more information about Brenda, please see our About Us page.
HOW TO REGISTER:
- Complete the registration form: http://www.parid.org/event-3365543